October 1, 2007
UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS
University Senates Conference
UC.08.01, Report of University Senates Conference Meeting, August 28, 2007
University Senates Conference (USC) met in Urbana at the President's House with President White and Vice President Rao in the morning. Discussions focused on the President’s view of priorities and challenges for the university in FY08, the proposed change to “Illinois” as the brand for the UIUC campus, plans for the Global Campus, and issues related to academic programs. A business meeting of USC followed in the afternoon.
The August 28 meeting with President White and Vice President Rao included discussion of the following topics:
- Priorities and Challenges in FY08. President White indicated that top-level administrative searches, and concerns about budgetary impacts at the departmental level would be of major importance this year.
- Branding of UIUC as “Illinois.” President White provided background regarding the change of “uiuc.edu” to “illinois.edu” in this discussion. He indicated that UIC and UIS had already branded themselves well but that UIUC had little meaning outside the geographic region
- Academy on Capitalism and Limited Government Fund. USC members and President White shared information about the role and activities of this fund within the Foundation and the UIUC campus.
- Global Campus. The role and composition of the Global Campus Academic Council was discussed. There is a strong likelihood of conducting a national search for the GC director position
The business meeting covered a number of different topics. The following matters were addressed:
- Approval of the June 26, 2007 minutes.
- Recalculation of apportioned USC membership. Elliot Kaufman will investigate a proposal to maintain the current apportionment of USC members (9 UIUC; 8 UIC; 3 UIS) as part of the five year review of USC representational membership. He will report at a future meeting.
- USC subcommittee membership. Nominations to the USC Statutes Committee and to various other committees on which USC has representation will be discussed at the September 25 Retreat. Other topics that were deferred for discussion at the Retreat include policy documents related to intellectual property and university property.
- ST-47, Proposed Revisions to the Statutes regarding Multi-Year contracts and related procedures. Procedures have been implemented at the UIC and UIS campuses; UIUC is in the process of discussions regarding procedures.
The meeting adjourned at 3:25 p.m.
Nancy P. O'Brien
USC Representative to UIUC Senate Executive Committee