November 4, 2002
September 24, 2002 University Senates Conference (USC) met in Urbana at the President's House with President Stukel and Vice President Rugg in the morning, and Vice President Chicoine in the afternoon. Discussions focused on the state's budget situation, salaries, UI-Integrate, and economic development. A brief business meeting of USC followed in the afternoon.
The meeting with President Stukel and Vice President Rugg included discussion of the following topics:
- Challenges for FY03. President Stukel indicated that the state's economy continues to be a serious issue, but that there are many positive accomplishments to offset that. He distributed a list of specific challenges for FY03 that will be the focus of university administration's goals and objectives.
- Status of FY04 Budget Planning. President Stukel reported that the university is requesting a lot of funding for FY04, but that realistically the "unavoidable" items (SURS, health insurance, and so on) will garner the bulk of funding. There will be a salary program, but it is likely to come from reallocation. He is also putting together a long-range salary planning group to discuss some of these issues.
- Vice President goals and accomplishments. President Stukel distributed copies of the goals and accomplishments of the Vice Presidents for review.
- Goals for Vice President for Administration. Vice President Rugg indicated that his first year would focus on the list of challenges and goals outlined by President Stukel. He also discussed the opportunities and benefits of centralizing selected activities at the University administrative level rather than at the three campuses. He reported that a building condition audit had been completed and there is concern about long-term maintenance programs. A presentation regarding building conditions will be presented to the Board of Trustees in November.
- UI Integrate update and S3. VP Rugg reported that progress is acceptable and that a major problem with messaging between modules seems to have been resolved.
- Economic development issues. Vice President Chicoine provided an update on economic development activities at the University, including Illinois VENTURES and the Research Park. He reported that, out of the 700 previously backlogged disclosures at UIUC, 150 have been actively marketed. Both the UIUC and UIC campuses have Campus Entrepreneurial Education Programs.
The business meeting covered a number of different topics. The following matters were addressed:
- Approval of the July 25, 2002 minutes.
- USC subcommittees and nominations. USC appointed members to its Statutes Committee and to its University Administration Budget and Benefits Study Committee.
- OT-89, Evaluation of Ability to Work. USC approved a document that attempts to reconcile the language of the three senates. The document will be forwarded to the senates for an up or down vote.The meeting adjourned at 3:00 p.m. Nancy P. O'Brien
USC Representative to UIUC Senate Executive Committee
(With additional information provided by Connie Sailor, USC Secretary