October 23, 2000
URBANA-CHAMPAIGN SENATE University Statutes and Senate Procedures
(Information; First Reading) SP.00.08 Revisions to the Statutes, Article V, Section 2, Graduate Colleges - Campus Research Board, and Article XII, Research and Publication BACKGROUND
The Campus Research Board functions at the campus level and has been considered part of the Graduate College. This was at a time when the positions of Dean of the Graduate College and the Vice-Chancellor for Research were held by the same person. These two positions are now distinct and held by two different individuals. We propose that the Campus Research Board be moved to the campus level and report directly to the Chancellor. RECOMMENDATIONS
The Senate Committee on University Statutes and Senate Procedures recommends approval of the following revisions to the Statutes. In the amendments below, text to be deleted is in [square brackets]; text to be added is underlined.
- PROPOSED REVISIONS TO THE STATUTES ARTICLE V, SECTION 2 AND ARTICLE XII
- Article V. GRADUATE COLLEGES
- [Section 2. Campus Research Board
- a. The Campus Research Board consists of eight to twelve members appointed by the
- chancellor after consultation with the dean and with the executive committee of the
- Graduate College, and the dean of the Graduate College who shall chair the board
- unless the chancellor, in consultation with the dean, shall name another member of
- the board so to serve. The board may establish appropriate committees, the members
- of which need not be members of the board.
- b. The functions of the board include: (1) making assignments of research funds of the
- Graduate College to individual and group research projects; (2) reviewing
- applications from faculty members to outside agencies for financial aid in support of
- research projects; (3) advising the chancellor on potentially patentable inventions by
- faculty members; (4) advising the chancellor and the dean of the Graduate College on
- any matters they desire to submit to the board.]
- Renumber remaining sections.
- Article XII. RESEARCH AND PUBLICATION
- Section 1. Campus Research Board
- a. The Campus Research Board shall report to the chancellor. The board shall
- consist of at least eight members appointed annually by the chancellor in
- consultation with the Senate. The board members shall represent the research
- interests of colleges and schools of the campus.
- b. The functions of the board include: (1) making assignments of research funds to
- individual and group research projects; (2) reviewing applications from faculty
- members to outside agencies in support of research projects; (3) advising the
- chancellor on patentable inventions by faculty members; (4) advising the
- chancellor on any matters submitted to the board.
- Renumber remaining sections.
SENATE COMMITTEE ON
UNIVERSITY STATUTES AND SENATE PROCEDURES
Robert Fossum, Chair
Harry H. Hilton
Robert C. Damrau, Ex officio
Thomas Eakman, Observer
C.K. Gunsalus, Ex officio (designee)
Vera V. Mainz, (PAC Liaison)