September 27, 1999
UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS
University Statutes and Senate Procedures
SP.00.03 Proposed Revisions to the Bylaws Part D.10.(b) - Committee on Educational Policy, Membership
The membership of the Committee on Educational Policy (EP) specified in the Bylaws, Part D.10.(b) includes five students. EP has noted that its discussions and actions are particularly enhanced when one of these student members is a graduate student. It requested that the Bylaws be revised so as to insure that one of the student members is a graduate student. The Committee on University Statutes and Senate Procedures proposes the amendment below.
During discussion of the amendment the question arose as to whether one should include a professional student in lieu of a graduate student. Consultation with members of EP indicate that while the work of the committee would also be enhanced by a professional student member, it has been the graduate student members who have been most diligent in attending meetings and in offering input into the committee activities.
USSP believes that EP's work will be enhanced by including a graduate student among its membership and that from time to time the Committee on Committees can recommend a professional student from among the other four student members.
The Committee on University Statutes and Senate Procedures recommends approval of the revisions to the Bylaws, Part D.10.(b). Text to be deleted is indicated in [square brackets] and text to be added is underscored.
PROPOSED REVISION TO THE BYLAWS, PART D.10.(b)
- (b) Membership
- The Committee shall consist of:
- 1. Eleven faculty members,
- 2. Five students, of whom one shall be a graduate student, two shall be undergraduate
- students, and no more than one shall be a professional student,
- 3. The Vice-Chancellor for Academic Affairs or the Vice-Chancellor's designee (ex
- 4. The Director of Admissions and Records or the Director's designee (ex officio),
- 5. The Executive Secretary of the Council on Teacher Education or the Secretary's
- designee (ex officio), and
- 6. A representative of the Committee of Assistant and Associate Deans (ex officio).
UNIVERSITY STATUTES AND SENATE PROCEDURES
Robert Fossum, Chair
H. George Friedman, Jr.
Harry H. Hilton
John W. Kindt
Robert C. Damrau, Ex officio
Thomas M. Eakman, Observer
C. K. Gunsalus, Ex officio (designee)
Vera V. Mainz, (PAC Liaison)