September 29, 2003
Senate Committee on Continuing Education and Public Service
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign Committee Members: Winston Akala, Steve Anderson, Bettina Francis, Pamela Hohn, Joe Kupfer, Thomas Mackin, Paul Parker, Mary Mallory, Chair, Steven Schomberg, ex officio
What is public engagement? It is faculty members, staff and students collaborating with communities, agencies, organizations, business and government to address critical societal issues and to share the University's intellectual and cultural assets.
Public Engagement web site, http://www.peir.uiuc.edu/pe/
- A review and redrafting of the committee's name and its charge as stated in the Bylaws of the Senate;
- Assistance with the 2003 Public Engagement Awards program; and,
- Consideration of the status of the Faculty Guide for Relating Public Service to the Promotion and Tenure Process pamphlet.
- Two CEPS members served on the Public Engagement Awards selection committee, reviewed submissions, and participated in selecting the award recipients.
- Supported the Vice Chancellor's (Steven Schomberg) decision to have the Faculty Guide for Relating Public Service to the Promotion and Tenure Process revised by a consultant.
- Complete revisions and updates to committee's charge and submit these, along with a recommended committee name change, to the Senate for consideration and approval. Finalization of the draft will occur at the initial fall, 2003, CEPS meeting.
Chair, Senate Committee on Continuing Education and Public Service