October 24, 2005
University of Illinois
HE.05.16 Report on the Illinois Board of Higher Education Meeting, August 23, 2005.
N.B. Due to a schedule conflict the observer was unable to attend this meeting. This report is based on the prepared agenda and the commentary provided by individuals who did observe the meeting.
BHE action and informational items affecting the UIUC Campus:
- Established rules for the Diversifying Higher Education Faculty in Illinois Program. (UIUC students participate.)
- An information report set the context for FY07 Budget Development. It noted that funding and grants for higher education is 7.4% less in FY06 than in FY91 adjusted for inflation and declined 12.9% between FY02 and FYO6. Most reductions occurred in FY04 with essentially flat budgets since. No capital budget for the last two years. While state revenues are improving they will not be good enough to meet state needs in FY07. Budget hearings with institutions begin in October, discussion budget due on December 22 and BHE consideration of budget recommendations on February 7.
Guiding Principles for FY07 Budget Development:
- Further Advancement of The Illinois Commitment,
- Funding based on abilities to achieve statewide strategic goals, not to replace funds lost in recent years.
- Consultative process with the entire higher education system.
- Advancing the priorities of the Governor and Legislature.
- Statewide focus rather than needs of individual institutions.
- Consideration of immediate needs and anticipation of future needs and priorities.
- Approval of $75,700,00 for student dining and residential programs building and residence hall construction. Includes demolishing Peabody and Gregory Dining Halls, Weston Residence Hall, and the Illini Orange Snackbar.
- The Board honored Sam Gove, UIUC Emeritus Faculty Member, for his service on the Board.
- UIUC Student Matt DeRosa joined the BHE as a voting member.
Judy Irwin, a former chair of House Higher Ed Com. is the new Executive Deputy Director. This was the first meeting for new members John Minogue, President of DePaul from 1993-2004, Elmer Washington, Emeritus Chicago State, Addison Woodward Jr., Emeritus Governors State.
The BHE was asked in a telephone call from OMB to hold back 2% of its funds. ($57K if limited to their operations, $800K if includes grant funds. Clarification is being sought.) Therefore scheduled HECA grants were not voted upon including UIUC’s $24K HECA grant for Improving Retention of Underrepresented Groups in Engineering and a $140K grant for Developing Disability Access Metrics for Postsecondary Education and a $65K grant to the University Administration for Back to School/Stay in School Program.
The reports of Subcommittee A and B of Committee to Review Priorities, Productivity and Accountability were adopted. The recommendations of Subcommittee A were detailed in the June BHE report and those of Subcommittee B in the February BHE report.
The BHE formally allocated the $2.6M approved by the Legislature for operating the University Center of Lake County.
The approval of degree granting authority for for-profit schools to operate in the state occasioned lengthy discussion. Questions involved whether they prepared people for actual jobs. Board member Taslitz said that unlike many small, liberal arts colleges, their reason for existing was to prepare people for viable employment. The discussion also focused on insuring quality of their program offerings. A study session organized by Judy Erwin on the topic will be held at the October meeting.
The budget discussion had some Board members asking about the funding of athletics and the expression of interest in knowing all sources of funds with the suggestion by one board member that we would not need to beg the legislature for money if we consider all sources of funds.
FAC to the IBHE Representative