Educational Policy Committee
Committee meetings are open to the public unless otherwise indicated.
Proposal sponsors are welcome to attend the committee meeting at which the sponsor's proposal is being discussed. The sponsor's availability to attend the meeting and answer any questions or make clarifications may help facilitate the committee approval process. However, please be aware that the committee may not have enough time to discuss all items on a meeting agenda, or the committee may need to rearrange the order of agenda items.
For agendas, minutes, annual reports, membership, and meeting schedule click HERE.
- In cases when a proposal impacts resources of other units (e.g. dependence on courses offered by other departments, library resources, etc.), the Educational Policy Committee requires written confirmation from the impacted unit(s) that the necessary resources have been committed for this purpose. It is important that sponsors of such proposals obtain the required written agreement(s) in advance of submitting their proposal and include those documents in their packet to avoid delays in review of their proposals.
- Approval of a proposal by the Senate does not indicate a commitment by the university to provide the necessary resources to offer the proposed courses, curricula, degrees, etc. indefinitely.
Proposals that have gone through the appropriate channels and have been approved by the relevant committees and/or authorities at the unit and college levels will be sent to the Provost's Office. If necessary, the Provost's Office will forward a proposal to the Senate Committee on Educational Policy for consideration and recommendation to the UIUC Senate. Please see the following links for additional information.
- Committee Charge and Responsibilities
Proposals must be submitted in the established format. Please note that proposals regarding graduate and undergraduate minors must follow special formats (see Information Related to Minors below).
Status of Proposals Received:
Please note that the Senate Committee on Educational Policy is only one of the bodies that may review a proposal. If approved by the Committee, a proposal is forwarded to the full Senate for a vote. Additional approvals by the Board of Trustees and the Illinois Board of Higher Education (IBHE) may be necessary for some proposals.
The Provost's Office will inform the sponsors in writing when a proposal has received all necessary approvals and may be implemented.
To view the status of items/proposals under consideration by the Committee, click HERE.
Information Related to Programs, Degrees or Units
- Degree Definitions
- IBHE Academic Programs Review and Approval NOTE: IBHE requires that there be 40 hours of upper division (typically 300-400 level) coursework for all new undergraduate majors. EPC will examine this to ensure that this requirement is met also for all revised changes to majors.
- Guidelines for Multi-Institutional Graduate Degrees in Collaboration with a Foreign Institution
- Hearings on the Termination, Separation, Transfer or Merger of Units
- Please review important information regarding proposals for reorganization (formation, termination, separation, transfer, merger, change in status, or renaming) of units.
- Instructions for the Submission of New and Revised Course Proposals - including forms
- Criteria and Procedures for Review of Proposals for New and Revised Graduate Degree Programs and Options under Existing Degrees
- Criteria and Procedures for Review of Proposed New and Revised Courses that Carry Graduate Credit
For a list of related links, click HERE.