Senate Committee on Educational Policy
Material Related to the Proposal to Close the Institute of Aviation
Back to Committee's Main Page
The Senate Educational Policy Committee (EPC) has received a proposal from the Interim VP/Chancellor and Interim Provost to close the Institute of Aviation. Following are some relevant information.
Stewarding Exccelence @ Illinois (SEI) Documents:
Educational Policy Committee / Senate Review Process:
- The proposal to close the Institute of Aviation has been submitted to us by the VP/Chancellor and the Provost. The Senate Educational Policy Committee is charged with conducting through reviews
of such proposals (called re-organization proposals). Our review process includes a public hearing, soliciting public input and committee discussions (see below for more information). If approved by the Committee,
the proposal will be forwarded to the full Senate for its consideration and action. In addition to the proposal itself, public comments received and minutes of the public hearing will be
shared with the Senate and the public. If approved by the Senate, the proposal will be forwarded to the University Senates Conference, University Board of Trustees and the Illinois Board of Higher Education for
their review and approval at each level.
- View our procedures for review of re-organization proposals.
- View Senate Rule 13: Formation, Termination, Separation, Transfer, Merger, Change in Status, or Renaming of Units.
Educational Policy Committee Proposal Review Activities:
- Public hearing scheduled for Tuesday March 8, 2011 from 3:30 to 5:00 PM in room 100 Noyse Lab - - Hearing will begin with brief presentations from VP/Chancellor Easter, Provost Wheeler
and Aviation Director Emanuel followed by questions/comments from the audience. Audience comments limited to two minutes per person. View
announcement for public hearing on the proposal.
- Written comments may be submitted to the Committee for consideration during its deliberations on the proposal. Comments received will be shared with the Senate and made available at our web site for public review.
To be considered by the committe, written comments must be submitted to Professor Abbas Aminmansour, the Committee Chair, via email to AAmin@Illinois.edu. The deadline to submit comments is 12 noon on Thursday March 10th.
- A special meeting of the Committee to discuss this proposal is scheduled for Monday March 14, 2011. The meeting is sheduled for 1:10 to 3:00 PM in room 210 Illini Union.
- Additional meetings held on the proposals to terminate degree programs in the Institute of Aviation and to close the Institute of Aviation. Please visit our
Meetings site for more information on our meetings.
- EPC recommendations to the senate on EP.11.15 and EP.11.32.
- DRAFT statement on the rationale for EPC recommendations prepared by Prof. Lori Newcomb in collaboration with several EPC members. This is a draft and has not been fully vetted or approved by the entire committee.
- Message from EPC Chair, Abbas Aminmansour, to the members of the Academic Senate (April 21, 2011).
- Summary of EPC procedures presented by EPC Chair at the April 25, 2011 Senate meeting.
Vote of the Faculty:
- Per Senate Rule 13, we must conduct a vote of the faculty in the academic units subject to re-organization. A vote of the eligible faculty is being conducted at this time via serect ballot. The vote is
being conducted among the eligible faculty who were in the Institute prior to their transfer to other units. According to the Bylaws of the
Institute, University President Michael Hogan, VP/Chancellor Robert Easter and Provost Richard Wheeler are eligible to vote on matters up for vote before the Institute. Their votes were solicited and
are included in the overall resuts shown below. It is noted that the vote of the faculty is advisory.
- Votes in favor of closing the Institute of Aviation: 2
- Votes against closing the Institute of Aviation: 4
- Abstentions: 3
Academic Senate / Illinois Student Senate Documents:
- View EP.11.15, Proposal from the Interim Chancellor and Interim Vice Chancellor for Academie Affairs to eliminate the BS in Aviation Human Factors, the Professional Pilot Curriculum, and the MS in
Human Factors in the Institute of Aviation. Proposal in committee pending review/action on the proposal to close the Institute of Aviation.
- View EP.11.32, Proposal from the Interim Chancellor and Interim Vice Chancellor for Academie Affairs to close the Institute of Aviation.
- View Illinois Student Senate Resolution on the proposed closure of the Institute of Aviation.
Public Hearing Related Material (March 14, 2011):
- Letter from University Statutes and Senate Procedures Chair Maher to Provost Wheeler (February 22, 2011).
- Letter from Provost Wheeler to University Statutes and Senate Procedures Chair Maher (March 3, 2011).
- Additional Information Submitted by Chancellor and Provost (March 11, 2011).
- Document submitted by the Chancellor and Provost as follow up to the March 14, 2011 EPC meeting (March 23, 2011).
- Provost's response to Professor Geil's Remarks (March 28, 2011).
- Response of the Institute of Aviation submitted as follow up to the March 14, 2011 EPC meeting.
- Prof. Geil's response to the Provost's March 23 Document (March 25, 2011).
- Remarks by EPC member, Professor Steven Michael (March 31, 2011).
- Response by EPC Member, Professor Geil, to Professor Michael (April 1, 2011).
- Letter from Chancellor and Provost to EPC Chair (April 1, 2011).
Input Received from the Public:
The following feedback on the proposed proposal have been received from the public. Please note that the deadline to submit input to the committee is noon on Thursday March 10, 2011.
Comments must be sent via email to Committee Chair Abbas Aminmansour via email (AAmin@Illinois.edu). Posting of input received does not imply agreement with their
contents by the Committee, Senate otr the university.